Friday 13 May 2011

The Wounded Falcon

The Wounded Falcon by J. P. Barnett, illustrator Peter Barnett (Wombat Books)
PB RRP $12.95
ISBN 978-1-921633-26-3
Reviewed by Jacque Duffy

A unique idea, this book is both a puzzle and an interesting story. With nearly twenty different endings and only one that is successful it is a challenge. The first few pages of the book dictate the game rules and wish you luck in your quest. The book is suitable for upper primary to high school age children; the younger may need help at first with the concept of note taking and page jumping.

It is not often we are informed that in order to read a book we must first have a pencil, eraser and a dice (which I didn’t have). A nice touch is the printing of a die on each page to simulate the rolling dice; something I found extremely useful. As you begin the book on page one like any other you are quickly told to skip to page 59 then 84 then back to 15 where you make your first decision. I sadly, made the wrong decision – several different wrong decisions actually and am yet, to find one of the three routes that lead to the successful ending.

This is J. P. Barnett’s second adventure game book and it is easily read and understood (except if like me you keep making the wrong decisions).

It is an enjoyable game for an adult, I am confident both boys and girls aged 8 – 12 would find it an enjoyable challenge. The illustrations confused me at first as they didn’t give clues like I thought they would and led me astray (that’s my excuse and I am sticking to it). Word of warning, enjoy the illustrations but don’t count on them helping you in your quest or your character may come to a grizzly end.
  
Jacque Duffy is the author and illustrator of the series ‘That’s not a …” learn to read books used in all Queensland State Primary Schools and one local history coffee table book.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jacque,

    Just a quick thank you for reviewing my book. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

    You are right about the illustrations not helping you to succeed in your quest - they are just illustrations.

    Without giving anything away, the key to success is through the hidden choices system, explained at the beginning of the book.

    Thanks again,

    J.P. Barnett

    ReplyDelete

Buzz Words Books would love to hear what you think.